Sunday, February 27, 2011

Listen!




While reading Groundswell chapters 4-6 one word was used several times and really got my attention. This word was listening, and it is referring to the fact that companies need to listen to their customers on social networks.

 Blogs, Facebook, Twitter ect. are now being used as a sort of research tool to better understand customers. The interaction between the brand and its customers creates a unique bond because not only do companies have the benefit of listening, they can also talk to spread messages about their company.


Josh Bernoff preaches listening to the groundswell for a good reason. Out of 114 people 106 say that they would recommend the Internet as a source of information. This statistic goes to show how important it is for a brand to use some form of social media.

Having a form of social media also helps during a possible PR crisis. Companies have the opportunity to speak up and to protect their brand by giving their customers a message straight from the brand itself.

 Companies can also generate new product and marketing ideas from information their customers give online by giving customers a say in what they like and get them involved.

People are truly learning from each other so it is important to maintain positive conversations on a company’s social network. Social networks are the best solution for word-of-mouth problems, while blogs help complexity. Listen and respond to feedback from the groundswell is the most important advice I have read so far in this book. 

Photo from The Right Now Customer Experience Blog

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I had a lot of trouble not making my post for this week too long, because I found a LOT of the information relevant. I specifically remember the part where Twitter and Blogs were mentioned as useful technological tools in the PR world, because I have both of those! It makes me think I'm on my way to being successful- hopefully! I agree with you saying that it is important to maintain positive conversations on a company's social network, since it seems those really are a large part of both the present and the future of PR.

    ReplyDelete